Bill,

I will be receiving a Performa 475 in a month or so and I have a
couple questions:

>>> blayer at qwest.net 06/20/01 09:51AM >>>
>One nice feature that sets the Performa475, 476, LC475 and Quadra 605
>apart from all other models, is the ability to overclock these machines
>without the usual clockchip replacement. It's a simple matter of adding a
>switch and a couple of resistors, and the machine can be toggled between
>It's also a plug-in upgrade to add a full 68040, which gives the machine a true
>hardware FPU.

Where would one find a full 68040? How much can they be gotten for?

>One issue that you may encounter is getting a working NIC for these
>machines. They all use the proprietary Apple LC-PDS NIC, or one of the
>aftermarket clones. Unfortunately, not all of the LC-PDS NICs are
>supported in Linux; you'll just have to try booting a kernel and see if
>the NIC is registered and assigned an interface. All of the 8390 based
>NICs work (aka NE2000), as do the genuine Apple NICs. Some NICs from Dayna
>do not work.

Where could you find one of the 8390 or Apple NICs? How much?

>The best Linux route for these machines is Debian Mac68k Linux, which can
>be downloaded from the Debian site. I'd suggest you join the
>debian-68k at lists.debian.org mailing list, as the system is still under
>development, and new kernels are frequently released to the list.

Cool! Thanks Bill, this is interesting stuff. I was planning on making this
machine into a play thing for my son (17 months, but _loves_ to bang on
the keyboard and move the mouse). I may consider using an old x86 machine
for this task instead...

Have a great day,

Troy