peter.clark at tides.com wrote:

>         First, thank you Andy for the tip on how to get the sound
> working. For some reason, the Progeny install didn't catch the on-board
> audio, but adding modprobe via82cxxx_audio to /etc/modules did the
> trick. Nice and simple, and the sound really isn't too bad. I'm
> listening to a CD right now (Beethoven's Piano Sonata #8) and it sounds
> just fine. So many thanks.

Just to pick nits, CD audio is the easiest thing for a sound card to do.
Well, unless you're having the drive extract the digital audio directly
off the CD, pipe it digitally through the system, then play it through the
sound card.  Don't laugh -- OS/2 could do it (I think it was called CDXA
or something) and I'm sure it's possible under Linux with the right tools.

Anyway, most computer setups have the audio (whether from the analog port
or the digital S/P-DIF port) go directly from the CD-ROM drive to the
sound card, bypassing the motherboard and CPU.  Playing CD audio requires
zero CPU time, so it usually sounds good ;-)

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   "Did you sleep well?"