peter.clark at tides.com wrote:

>         I have been trying to get an ISA modem to work under both Linux
> (Progeny) and Win98. It's an AOpen FM56-ITU/2 modem, and all that I have
> heard about it tells me that it works great under Linux. However, I
> can't seem to get it to work in either Linux or Win98. Linux detects the
> serial port (ttyS3), but when I do a pnpdump, it doesn't find the board.
> I ln -s /dev/ttyS3 /dev/modem, but when I use kppp, it says the modem
> isn't responding. Win98 doesn't detect it, period, and when I do a
> brute-force install, the modem diagnostic comes back saying that the
> modem isn't responding. Oh, yes, and the motherboard is a Soyo
> K7VTA-PRO.
>         Does anyone have this modem? What jumper settings do you
> recommend?  (I've been playing around with them, trying different COM
> ports and IRQs.  Help, before I tear my hair out!
>    :Peter

Well, I haven't ever played with that card, though there may be something
generic that's causing the problem.

You don't have anything else using IRQ4, do you?  COM1 and COM3 (sort of)
share IRQ4 and COM2 and COM3 share IRQ3.  I've never had much luck with
running two COM ports with the same IRQ -- if you have a mouse on COM1,
that could cause problems.  Even if you don't have anything on that COM
port, disable it in the BIOS, just to make sure nothing is causing a
conflict.

Additionally, make sure that your BIOS sees that it should not assign IRQ4
to any PCI devices.  I know a lot of systems like to try and assign those
low IRQs to devices, even though they may already be in use.

If kppp still gives you trouble, it's always a good idea to try out
minicom.

--