I had a problem similar to this recently.  You might try swapping out
cards if you have a few ISA cards in there.  I ended up fixing my
problem by buying a PCI network card to replace my ISA one which didn't
like my sound card.  $14.95 later it works perfectly.  It used to be
that PCI was to be avoided on Linux but now I think it's ISA that's to
be avoided when possible.

Brady