Hello all! My name is Brian Maddy and I still consider myself somewhat new to linux.  Anyways, I was hoping someone could help me with a little problem I'm having.  I live in a house with about 20 other people.  I'm in charge of our DSL modem and firewall which is running RedHat linux (ver. 7.1, kernel 2.4).  My friend helped me set up a caching only DNS and it's working great.  Now I want to get dynamic DNS working on our internal network.  DHCP is working fine by the way.

What I want to do is make it so I can lookup "mycomputer.mydomain.com" and get the IP of my computer from anywhere inside my house.  Most people in the house are using windows.  I only really want it to work with Debian linux (my computer) and Win2000 (I don't think the other versions of windows update the local DNS, and I don't really care about them).  As an added problem, not everyone has their computer's domain set to our domain name.  Many people have to have it set to something else for work or school and have to keep it that way.  I would still like to be able to look up "theircomputer.mydomain.com" and get their IP in the house.

Two of the zones in my /etc/named.conf file are the following:

/etc/named.conf:
    zone "mydomain.com" {
        type master;
        file "internal.forward";
        allow-update {192.168.0/24; };
};

    zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "internal.reverse";
        allow-update { 192.168.0/24; };
};

Now, the Win2K computers are updating the reverse lookups, but in kind of a strange way.  They are adding lines to my "internal.reverse" file, but not exactly how I wanted them to.  The lines that are added are set up so that when I do a lookup on 192.168.0.x I get "computername.WORKdomain.com" and not "computername.MYdomain.com".  I would like to know how to fix this, but I am more concerned with the forward lookup.  The forward lookup is not being updated at all.  I don't really see why either, the zones above are set up identically...weird.  Perhaps Win2K only updates the reverse lookup?  I don't know.  I haven't even started working on getting my Debian linux computer to do the updates. That will come later though.

I have been able to find almost no information on the web for a situation like this.  The only thing I find is about RFC2136 (which doesn't help me out with syntax) or is a perl script where you have to keep a file that tells the name of each computer and it's IP.  I don't want to have a static file like that because we have people moving in and out all the time and I don't want to have to constantly maintain it.  So does anyone know where I could find some more information on how to do this?  Help would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Thanks in advance!
Brian Maddy
Madd0057 at tc.umn.edu

PS:  If I didn't supply enough information, just let me know what is needed and I'll send it right away.