In terms those spreading FUD may understand:

Say I create a nifty library. Something everybody needs. Something
everybody wants. But I worked very hard on it, and I want compensation for
my hard work. The compensation I'm asking for: the source to any software
using my library must be made available in the same fashion my source code
is available. If that's asking too much, write your own library. You don't
have to compensate me until you finish the project after all.

Now say Microsoft creates a nifty library. Something everybody wants.
Something everybody needs. But some of their staff worked very hard on it,
and the company wants compensation. So they wrap it into developer kits,
MFC's, etc. So you buy into these developer resources. Now that they've
been compensated, you can start work on your project.

Now if you go with the cancer analogy, treatment for cancer is cut it out
and expensive therapy. So going by that, Linux, the GPL, LGPL, etc. are
nothing more than a wart. Cut it out (the GPL Library) and let heal.
(replace it with your own library.)

With the MS Library, you can cut it out, but you've allready compensated
Microsoft, and possibly have a continuing agreement. And since you're
compiling on a MS Platform to start with, perhaps your using a MS
developer suite. (Which you payed for.), with other MS libaries, developer
kits, and MFCs (which, you payed for...), building on a MS Operating
System (which you payed for), supported by a MS Server Operating System,
(which you payed dearly for.)...

| Andrew S. Zbikowski       | Home: 763.591.0977 |
| http://www.ringworld.org  | Work: 763.428.9119 |
| http://www.itouthouse.com | PCS:  612.306.6055 |
|   Sinclair: "No boom?" Garibaldi: "No boom."   |
|     Ivanova: "No boom today. Boom tomorrow.    |
|             Always a boom tomorrow."           |