On Friday 08 June 2001 13:58, you wrote:
> I'm tinkering around with VMware, running Win98 inside of a virtual
> machine for a few odds and ends.  Well, the machine I'm running this on is
> not well suited to be doing this, and Vmware sometimes crashes if I ask
> too much from Windows.  The problem is that when VMware crashes, a lot
> comes with it.  Xwindows (4.0.x) crashes, and oddly enough, my GATEWAY
> machine loses its conencton to the internet.  I've got a linux box acting
> as a router on my cable modem.  The only way to re-establish the internet
> connection is to COLD boot the linux box and reset the cable modem.  Any
> ideas why this happens?
>
> TIA,
> Brian

I have noticed a lot of lag time if I am running something inside the VMware
machine that is accessing the network.  It causes my Internet to time out and
my POP server e-mail to come back with a host not found.  I haven't actually
crashed the gateway (an NT 4.0 SP6a server), even when the virtual machine
crashes.  Once I close down the virtual machine, everything returns to
normal.  I think it is at least partially tied to the fact that the virtual
machine and the Linux box are time sharing the ethernet card. (Arpwatch on my
Samba server--delta times on flip flop in the neighborhood of .5 seconds--462
e-mails in about an hour!)

What was interesting to me was that PCanywhere worked across the Internet to
my work, even when my other Internet stuff was timing out and my network
saves in the virtual machine were hanging.

I haven't taken the time to access VMware's knowledge base yet, but that was
going to be my next step.

--
James Spinti
jspinti at mn.rr.com