On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Callum Lerwick wrote:

> Snd is quite nifty. Haven't played with it a whole lot, its UI is a bit
> different, its much better than the usual.

Careful!  You'll give DD-B ammo in his Holier Than GNU Emacs Jihad<tm> :P
Snd is heavily emacs oriented.  Historically, it tries to replicate
functionality of an old program called dpy (I think) that ran on DECsystem
10's.  I only ever messed with that once, had no sound hardware, so have
no idea if it was a good or bad model.

Interestingly (or maybe not) Andy Moorer, was at CCRMA and there's an
awful lot of snd present in the interface for Sonic Solutions.  Sonic is a
lesson in productive UI's (not without learning curve, though).

> The zoom sliders are such an
> intelligent way to handle zoom, plus it does zoom in the amplitude
> domain, not just time...

Actually, they are a lot more intelligent on time *than* amplitude.  If
you had serious editing -- like a classical piece with a couple of hundred
edits -- it would be kind of doggy.  But since it has both lisp-y macros
and you have the source code to boot, you could probably make it slicker
if you really wanted to.

> Last I checked it was the only WAV editor for X that was even remotely
> usable for editing CD tracks. Namely, having at least minimal
> functionality and doesn't try to load an entire 600mb wav into RAM...

If you could make it run a dedicated DSP, say a Motorola 56001, you'd have
something.  Oh, wait -- I'm awfully close to a product description for
Sonic!

> And I can't get to that site. Bah.

That one, or the snd site?  Just search for snd or CCRMA -- I think it's
at http://ccrma.stanford.edu/ but Google will know.

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous