Rick Engebretson <eng at pinenet.com> wrote:

> They are getting to be some nasty cowboys at MS. The writer of the
> article suggested the new MS browser could edit another's web page ??
> But  it seemed more like the browser just kept trying to redirect the
> user ??

Yeah, to me, it looks a lot like MSNBC's thing where you can ``click on a
word -- any word -- and get the definition.''  I know that software was
widely touted as spyware (I think Newsweek even had an article on it).
This stuff is probably the same.

I guess the C|Net article on the same subject said that Microsoft was not
the only organization that could do this.  Supposedly, you can do the same
thing on your intranet, though I don't think I know of many organizations
that would have much use for it.

I wonder what sort of a link Microsoft makes for `Linux' ;-)

Still, this does have echoes of `1984,' and they did manage to piss off
The Journal, so who knows what the future holds for MS.

I've haven't been in an active Linux Advocate mode for some time, mostly
due to concerns about how most distributions leave far too many services
open.  I installed RedHat 7.1 on a system today and was happy to see that
it included some pretty good firewalling rules (though it still turned on
a lot of services, but they were only available to localhost).  If I hear
more strange noises coming from that corner of the continent, I think I'm
going to become much more active about getting Linux going wherever
possible.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   General Failure reading