I am starting to get into securing things on my box.  I have RH 7.0 and
applied the security patches for the RH site.  I have purchased the book
Linux Security Tools.  The first chapter talks about pam in the last part
of the first chapter.  My question is, when do I know when pam is being
used for authentication and when is it not.  I log in to my machine from
work using telnet.  Would pam be used for that or some other service.

Second question:
I am getting messages like :
portmap[9271] connect from 202.105.205.141 to dump(): request from
unauthorized host

portmap[?] connct from 200.221.96.88 to getport(status) request from
unauthoriezed host

What are these unauthorized people trying to do?

I have in my hosts.deny all:all and hosts.allow the only two ip that I
would log in from.

TIA for all comments

John Miller