Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome at real-time.com> writes:

> I've decided to finally give Slackware a try (about 5 years after hearing
> about it...).
> I have a 486 w/12MB of RAM and will probably end up with a 340MB HDD. I want
> to set it up as a web server. (before you all shout out that 'you need more
> memory than that!'; remember what it used to be like, before memory was
> cheap.. it's not going to be a high-performance box, and I don't care.)

I ran a 386/25 with 8 meg of ram as my web server for years.  I don't
still have usage charts from that far back, so I can't say what it was
handling.  I didn't, of course, run X on it!

I believe that Slackware was the first distribution I ran on that box,
in fact.  (Before I got a web server up, I converted my BBS to running
under Linux, and that worked very well for a while.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      dd-b at dd-b.net
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/          Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/