Brian wrote:

> Yaron speaketh:
> > Anyone here get some of those PNY-labelled CD-Rs when they were like $5
> > for a spindle of 50? And if so... are you getting EXTREMELY large amounts
> > of failed burns on them?
> > So fat I've tried like 15 and only 5 have worked!
>
> John Miller added:
> > I bought a spindle and had about a 50% success rate with them.
>
> What speed are you burning at?  I've got the PNY's at home and burned at
> 4x I have yet to burn a coaster.  I haven't tried fitting 700 MB on yet,
> so I maybe it has problems I haven't encountered yet.
>
> The flaky reflective stuff is the reason I don't store anything important
> on them.  I got what I paid for... a disposable CDR.  They work great for
> burning linux ISOs and stuff for short term use.  Generally I don't like
> to keep ISOs around for two long because I'd rather have a disc with the
> latest packages and patches so I don't have to dig after installing.  The
> discs I really like (and I can't always find) are the paper-covered
> discs.. I feel MUCH safer storing stuff on them because the reflective
> stuff won't chip off, you have to intentionally peel the sticker off.
>
> -Brian

I bought 50 of them at Best Buy a couple of months ago and have gone through around 30 of them without making a coaster.  Many of them were burned at 8x, but lately the dummy burn reported problems so I burned them at 4x.  Many of them have been close to 700mb.  Maybe I got a good batch or am just getting lucky.

Kurt