> > be on National Public Radio's Fresh Air program tomorrow.  I guess it's
> > broadcast from 8-9 PM here in Minnesota.
>
> So did anyone else catch this?  It was fun, but I thought Linus came off a
> little flat sometimes, esp. when describing what Linux (or any OS) does.

I caught it on my way up from the airport after returning from Japan.
Interestingly, Linus was in Tokyo at about the same time I was, according
to a local (English) paper there, to promote the Japanese translation of
the book.

I was a little disappointed with Terry Gross's questions; she was clearly
out of her element. If you want a comparison you should hear her
interviews with musicians, which are usually fabulous. She didn't really
know how to identify with Linux, except in terms of the $ and the GPL.

Linus coulda definitely been less flat. He showed the typical (but not
every!) geek's difficulty in identifying just how little people understand
about the whole topic, and so IMO didn't make the best of a few
opportunities (during the conversation) for some really nice
illustrations. But then, I've heard RMS (and others) make the same
mistake.

That's what I found wrong with it. Doesn't mean I think it was a bad
program, or a bad Linus interview -- overall a positive thing that it was
a topic. The point he made most well was how the GPL development
environment directs a very different, evolutionary process for
"production".

So who's read Linus' book?

Andy