On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Phil Mendelsohn wrote:
> So did anyone else catch this?  It was fun, but I thought Linus came off a
> little flat sometimes, esp. when describing what Linux (or any OS) does.
>
> Actually, his European reserve had the side effect of making NPR seem more
> like "48 Hours" or one of the slightly more sensational news shows, since
> they kept asking questions about money, even when he said that it was never
> *about* money.

I heard part of it, didn't have time to listen to the whole thing tho.  He
came across as "a geek who knows his stuff", so he's not going to sound
all that exciting in an interview about linux.  Still, some GREAT press
for linux after all the FUD of last week.  I like how the interviewer
stated that "linux is designed as a replacement for the Windows operating
system".  Even though that's not totally true, it does add a nice touch
after what MS has been saying in the last few weeks and months.  Also, as
Phil said, he made it clear that linux wasn't about money, and not about
taking out Microsoft.  I think that's a major point to be making when
Microsoft is obviously scared sh*tless about an OS that was never designed
to be this widely accepted.  Real good stuff :-)

-Brian