Over time I've become a big fan of KDE.  There are two reasons I favor
KDE:

1.  Subjective impression that it's more solid.  I've just had more
gnome things go south on me, and more of the gnome apps seem to be
beta-ish.  But then, I haven't ever tried KOffice --- your mileage may
vary.

2.  Subjective impression of better UI.  For example, at least at the
most recent Gnome I tried, their help browser had no search feature!
This seems totally goofy to me.  gnorpm has a UI that I find almost
totally inscrutable, etc., etc.

Of course, KDE has the totally annoying one-click-to-activate
misfeature.  But by and large, I find it superior.  Oh, yes, and it's
centered around konqueror, which I feel to be the best browser
available for linux, bar none.

Cheers,