On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Mike Hicks wrote:

> It worked for me.

Thanks -- I thought I had it, but punctuation being what it is...

> > 3:
> >    Has anyone noticed / can anyone explain why on a 486 box, when
> >    ipchains or the routing table are listed, at least the first
> >    time, it takes a *really* long time for them to respond with
> >    the table?  I mean that ipchains -L gives the headers, but then
> >    waits like a _minute_ or two.  If you're patient, it comes, and
> >    after that is fast.  What's making it think so hard the first time?
>
> It's doing a reverse DNS lookup on the IP addresses.  Using `ipchains -L
> -n' should be a lot faster.

OK.  I bet that's what I'm seeing with the port forwarding too.  I've got
DNS set up, but reverse is still pending between granitecanyon and my ISP
(just made some changes.)  That's a little bit important, eh?

Cheers,
Phil
--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous