Phil Mendelsohn wrote:
> > As the older generation passes on, it may take a good chunk of
> > Microsoft's market with it.
>
> Boy, that's an unfortunate turn of phrase!  If Microsoft gets wind of
> that idea, they'll start selling life insurance that names themselves as
> the customers' beneficiary.

We may need to "make a few calls" and have uncle Guido "take care of" a
few people, but if that's what it takes...   ;-)

Scott Dier writes:
> This guy is hurling FUD.  Worse, he works for the govt.  Even worse, he
> doesn't actually follow linux, he makes his point as an "enthusist"
> *not* a working linux professional.
>
> Plus, the person has not a presence in the community as far as I can
> see.  This non-presence brings -0- creditability to many of these
> arguments.

I disagree, and think the author makes some valid points regarding
obstacles Linux faces on "the desktop."  Currently, the vast, unwashed
masses of business computer users couldn't care less about "the
community."  By my definition, "the desktop" is different than "the
community" -- the government recently declared that Microsoft currently
enjoys effective monopoly control over "the desktop."

In recent months, in an effort to spread doubt about open-source, linux,
the GPL, etc., Microsoft has been conducting a calculated negative public
relations campaign against linux and friends.  Presumably, M$ marketing
research has led it to believe that open-source, etc. represent a threat
to the M$ way of life.  The apparent goal of Microsoft's negative PR
campaign is to rally the troops and sway the hearts and minds of many,
relatively naive computer users.  IMHO, while sometimes necessary,
grandstanding and taking up a rigid, elitist stance is not always the most
effective political response to this type of criticism.

On a lighter note, Friday's Slashdot carried an interesting story
regarding recent remarks by Steve Ballmer (big kahuna at Microsoft):

Ballmer Calls Linux "A Cancer"

The following commentary, found in the discussion under the story, cracked
me up laughing...

    To Microsoft:  This word you use ... Innovative ... I do not think it
    means what you think it means.

Joel

(apologies to "The Princess Bride")

---
Member of the GNU/X/Apache/Perl/Samba/OpenSSH/Linux generation.