On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Robert P. Goldman wrote:

> Unfortunately, they also say that we should contact our suppliers.
> Given that my supplier is Qworst, this makes my heart sink.  So,
> before settling in to an hour sitting by my speaker-phone, alternating
> between talking to the wrong person and sitting on hold, I thought I'd
> ask if any of you have gotten the upgrade, and if there's any way to
> bypass Qworst.

First, try their web site if you haven't.  They have modem support at

http://www.qwest.com/dsl/customerservice/csco675ups.html

Note that if you have a Windows PC, you can just do it from their web
site.  (Dunno about using WINE or something.)

Second, does the 675 support tftp like the 678?  If so, then you don't
even need the windows version.  You can get CBOS v2.4.1 from www.cisco.com
if you follow the links into DSL products then 600 series then 675 (I
think.)  Install and use tftp (trivial ftp, available on Linux) to send
the new software to the modem.  Ta da!

If this doesn't work, you can always go back to Qworst and do it the
Widows way if necessary.  Assumption:  you *do* have a 56k modem around,
and a number to dial, just in case your DSL modem becomes unusable?

The only concern I would have about doing the non-windows version is that
Qworst says that they need their modems to work with their system.  I
don't know if that's because they just aren't being forthcoming about what
their system actually is -- DMT, various technical params, etc -- or if
it's because they've actually gotten into the modem firmware or had cisco
customize code a little.

So, make sure you have an escape route, but otherwise, have fun!  If your
ISP hasn't given you an analog # to call, maybe a LUGnut will let you dial
in to their box, if you get stuck.  (I'm almost offering, but not
convinced you need that.)

Cheers,
Phil

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous