On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 10:00:00PM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20010531/tc/why_2001_is_not_the_year_of_the_penguin__1.html

While I may agree with a few points in this article, there _is_ a lot of
FUD in there.

 1. No Acrobat
    There may not be the beautiful Adobe GUIs, but GhostScript provides
    ps2pdf and just about everything in Linux generates PostScript.  If
    you're looking for typesettings stuff, look into TeX.
 2. The Photoshop replacement is called the GIMP.  If he doesn't know
    that already, he's still a Linux newbie who shouldn't be writing
    these types of articles.  If that's not powerful enough, buy a copy
    of Corel Photo-Paint.  I think that's on Linux already.
 3. Anyone who is using 16-bit Window applications to do data
    warehousing seriously needs to find an escape route from the hole
    they've dug themselves into.  Go get DB2 from IBM and do it right.
    There is a reason RMS is on a crusade and this is exactly it.

Where he does have a point is Quark Xpress.  I don't know of any
applications on Linux that compare to this product.  Framemaker had a
chance, but they decided to pull out.

Nate