On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Shawn wrote:

> I'm working with Xnest to both Sun and Dec machines.  I can get most Sun
> boxes to allow me to connect to them.  However, a few I try to connect
> to kick me back to the logon screen after it tries to load.  Is this
> something I need to correct in my .profile on the server?  Some DEC
> machines I can connect to as well, or I get this problem also.

Not too familiar with Sun's or Dec, but if you're getting kicked back to
the logon screen it usually means that your xsession ended with an error.
Window Manager didn't start, couldn't access display, something. Linux
creates a ~/.xsession-errors, check the Sun/Dec equilvent.

> If I pull up a Xnest session to a box successfully, and then I remote
> into a box that I cant connect to with X of some type I get a "client
> not authorized to connect to computer" error.  Anyone have some ideas on
> this?  The Sun boxes that I have problems pulling X up remotely on have
> a known good .profile in them that I have duplicated on other servers
> that I can connect to.

What do you mean by Xnest session? XDMCP query? So you query a box, logon,
they pull up a remote session to another box? Via telnet? ssh? rsh? Need
more info...

> Also, how can I get Xterm to allow me to connect remotely to a Sun/Dec
> box?  What I'm after is the text connection speed for when I'm dialed in
> over modem without having to get hit on the display of Xnest.  If I
> rlogin to a server and then pull up a graphical command (such as
> admintool on Sun or sysman on DEC) I don't see the X-window appear on my
> screen.  I tried to look through the xterm man page but for some reason
> I'm not seeing anything.

Via telnet, ssh, or rsh. xterm doesn't connect directly. Logon via telnet,
ssh, rsh, whatever and change your DISPLAY setting. (Display redirection
is automatic with ssh)

> Also, is there other modifications that I will have to do for AIX and
> HPUX systems?  I'm thinking it shouldn't be too much, but I'm not that
> familiar with all these.

Display manager that supports XDMCP I suppose. Do you really need a full
desktop on all these boxes? Isn't a command line enough? :) Can't just
forword your xdisplay and run the programs you need from the command line?

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
"We can learn much more from wise words, little
from wisecracks and less from wise guys."
--William Arthur Ward