On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Bill Layer wrote:

> Anyway, doesn't the Cisco check the flash CRC checksums on reboot, before
> it ever does any re-programming? You'd think that would make bad transfer
> a non-issue.

I was under the impression that it didn't, like it just dumped the new
CBOS right into flash.  If it used the checksum before flashing, you could
in theory kill the modem during transfer and all would be fine.  According
to the docs, that'll kill your modem forever.

On a Real Cisco, it does the same thing (erases flash, download IOS) but
it also has a crappy IOS version in ROM in case you really fsck up the
download.  I realize the 675/678s are not really a concern to Cisco, but
how hard would it be for them to put a ROM in the modem with an old
version of CBOS?

-Brian