On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 14:33:02 -0500
"Al Borchers" <alborchers at steinerpoint.com> wrote:

> A while back Bill Layer described how to update the Cisco 675/678
> bios with tftp.  He said he was not able to upgrade with minicom
> and xmodem.

Thanks much for figuring it out, I knew I was missing something...

> A tech at visi said xmodem was safer than tftp, since if the upload is
> interrupted you are less likely to end up with a partially updated and
> useless modem.  Don't know if that is true or not.

Ok.. but the tftp xfer takes like 7 seconds.. how long does the serial
transfer take? I would think that a longer xfer might just be more likely
to be interrupted.

Anyway, doesn't the Cisco check the flash CRC checksums on reboot, before
it ever does any re-programming? You'd think that would make bad transfer
a non-issue.

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-