> In most cases the config you are sent work work for your card anyway
> because your PnP settings will be different.
>
> I do have some tips for you:
> In your bios, set PnP os to NO.
> Scribble down what resources the card uses in windows.
>
> in linux:
> modprobe 3c509 irq= io=
>
> When you find the settings that do work, you can add an entry in modutils.
> something like
>
> alias eth0 3c509
> options 3c509 io= irq=
> (anyone wanna double check that? Can't remember if that's correct...)
>
> Or if you've compiled in the 3c509 driver you can add:
> append="ether=irq,io,eth0"
> to /etc/lilo.conf
>
> I don't _think_ you have to use isapnptools with a 3c509, even if it is in
> pnp mode, with linux, but I could be wrong. The driver has pretty good
> autodetection as well so you might be able to get away with a simple
> modprobe 3c509.
>
> PnP is nice and all, but there was something to be said about being able
> to manually set your system resources. ;)
>
> Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org

I was able to use modprobe 3c509, and it seemed to identify the card
and (perhaps) set it up.  As a module 3c509 does not like the io parameter.
I think it was conf.modules that I added the alias and options commands
to.

The pnpdump and isapnp don't seem to be necessary in the later drivers.
(This is on a Red Hat 6.2 system, something I hadn't mentioned earlier.)

I'm missing the next steps.  I think I will try the control panel and
see about using those facilities for doing the next steps in configuring.

Ultimately what I want is for my linux box to use DHCP to get an interface
address from the Cisco 678 connecting me to my DSL line.

dsc