On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 01:37:43PM -0500, Simeon Johnston wrote:
> http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/07/20/1228200&mode=nocomment
>
> Alan Cox resigns from Usenix.
>
> http://www.2600.com/news/display.shtml?id=593
>
> Dmitry Sklyarov arrested for violating the DMCA.  What's the DMCA?
>
> Sorry, I don't understand much of this....  But WTF,

DMCA:  Digital Millennium Copyright Act.  1998 law which essentially
banned reverse-engineering of encryption code, regardless of the
purpose.  Criminal penalties under DMCA were not enacted until last
October.

Dmitry Sklyarov:  Russian software engineer who gave a talk at DefCon
last weekend on the topic of security in Adobe's eBook products.  Or,
rather, the lack of security.  (Some books were "encrypted" with
ROT13...)  Adobe didn't like this, so they told the FBI that he was
disseminating information on how to circumvent encryption used to
control access to a copyrighted work, which is illegal under the DMCA.

On Monday morning, while preparing to return home to Russia, FBI
agents arrested Dmitry in his hotel room.  He is currently being
held in Las Vegas without bail and will be taken to San Jose for a
preliminary hearing, most likely within the next day or so.  If
convicted, he faces penalties up to 5 years in prison and/or a
$500,000 fine.

Of particular note is that the reverse engineering was done and the
decryption software was written in Russia, where it is legal.  Not
only is Dmitry's work legal there, but Adobe's eBook software is in
violation of Russian law as it does not allow the purchaser to make
a backup copy.

Alan Cox:  Linux kernel developer who lives in Britain and is often
involved in work on device drivers for proprietary hardware whose specs
are not published and, therefore, must be reverse engineered.  While I
doubt that he is in any immediate danger of a DMCA-related arrest,
he's making the point that the U.S. government has demonstrated that
it is willing to arrest foreign programmers for writing code in foreign
countries if that code can be construed as a violation of the DMCA.

--
With the arrest of Dimitry Sklyarov it has become apparent that it is not
safe for non US software engineers to visit the United States. - Alan Cox