You need to get on a Linux box and have access to the internet. Linux has
programming languages, scripting languages, installation and
configuration methods, desktop and publishing tools, communications
tools. Network administrators are rightly proud of their skills with
Linux, too.

I worked in the early days of MRI and other biophysical imaging and
instrumentation. MSWindows doesn't do ultrasound scans and save lives.
Unix does.

You need your own computer on your dad's nice network. There is more to
learn than you can know. Linux is very cool.

On 7/18/01, 3:08:03 PM, "Hans P. Christianson" <chri0704 at tc.umn.edu> wrote
regarding RE: [TCLUG] help a kid learn Linux.sdm.sdm:

> As near as I can tell, my old man doesn't know anything at all about the
> Novell server.  He is using exactly that philosophy: "If it ain't broke,
> don't fix it".  I, on the other hand, like the philosophy, "If it ain't
> broke, you aren't screwing around with it enough"... (At least, for home
> use).  The Novell server -I think- is only being used to store files.  It
is
> a minimal home network to distribute broadband service throughout the
house,
> and I don't believe the way they have it set up requires a server at all.
> But I don't tell him this.  It used to be a real server at my dad's
clinic.