The digest of the message is; Linux is more powerful than MSWindows and
is free, but the growth of Linux use is unimpressive. Why ?? (Microsoft
stock is surging, Linux companies are dying.) How can more people learn
Linux ??

I am simply informing the local Linux community that adding a Linux box
to an existing MShome network is very simple and cheap. This way more
(young) people will have a chance to spend the necessary time learning
the nuances of a very different system.

I have seen much about adding MSWindows boxes to a Linux server network
(eg. Samba), but little about how easy it is to add a Linux box to an
existing Mshome network. Which is the better way to introduce Linux to a
larger interested public ??

On 7/17/01, 6:47:11 PM, "Florin Iucha" <florin at iucha.net> wrote regarding
Re: [TCLUG] help a kid learn Linux.sdm:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 10:50:23PM +0000, Rick Engebretson wrote:
> > The leap into Linux from MSWindows is daunting. The family computer is
> > not an available option for most eager learners. A second computer using
> > Linux (possibly double boot) is now affordable for many.
> >
> > With MSWindows Home Networking it is easy and cheap to add this second
> > (Linux) home computer to the internet. The MSWindows box requires
> > Windows98SE or above (we use ME) for use as the "gateway" TCP/IP, DHCP
> > network server. It works great.
> >
> > Instead of this hook-up most Linux experts suggest using the Linux
> > machine for the "gateway." When you know what you're doing that is great.
> > But most families won't try this experiment with their home system. So
> > Linux goes untried by too many kids.
> >
> > Linux is not the first OS kids learn. Simplifying the steps to begin
> > learning Linux is important. So I suggest adding a Linux box to an
> > MSWindows network. This is the opposite of adding MSWindows boxes to a
> > Linux network as most experts now suggest.
> >
> > Linux is the best OS. Let's share it.

> And the digest of this message is... ?

> Maybe it's too late in the afternoon.
> florin

> --

> "you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take
effect"