On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Dave Sherohman wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 05:18:52PM -0500, Troy.A Johnson wrote:
> Does anyone here have recommendations for relatively inexpensive print servers? Values: first reliability, then remote management (ha ha ha), then bells & whistles.

Is it just me or is it possible to equate every "I need a cheap dedicated
piece of hardware to do...." phrase to "yeah, a 486 running linux will do
that and a few other things too"?  There are always advantages of buying a
print server box (Netgear, HP, whatever) because of the small size and the
lessened tendencies of users to try to use it for
something.  Example... we switched from 486s running DOS print capturing
to HP print servers because people tried to sit down and work on the 486
print servers.  "Why isn't Windows 95 running?  How do I check my e-mail
on this?  Maybe if I reboot this thing.... hey, why did our printer stop
working?"  People tend to leave little blinking boxen alone for fear they
might break something.

In a geeky environment where it's acceptable to run 486 linux boxen for
small tasks it's definitely the way to go, though.  Hardware
cost: probably free (what business doesn't have piles of excess crappy
hardware in a closet somewhere?).  Software cost: free.  Options: well, if
it doesn't have the option you want, you can probably find some source or
write your own.  Remote managment: OpenSSH or the software's own
utilities.

What sort of network capabilities does CUPS have?  Specifically, if I have
a Novell 4.11 server farm what are the possiblities of using CUPS as a
print server?

-Brian