On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 05:18:52PM -0500, Troy.A Johnson wrote:
> Does anyone here have recommendations for relatively inexpensive print servers? Values: first reliability, then remote management (ha ha ha), then bells & whistles.

Judging by the other answers, I seem to have interpreted your question
differently (and in a less OT fashion), as my first thought was, "A
low-end Pentium running CUPS."  Reliability?  Sure, as long as your
hardware holds out.[1]  Remote management?  Oh, yeah.  CUPS talks HTTP
on port 631 and has a pretty good management interface there, IMO.
Bells and whistles?  Umm...  It accepts jobs and it prints them.  What
else would you want?

[1]  Two weeks ago, I had a Cyrix 6x86's[2] mobo die on me.  IDE
controller went flaky and, while I was troubleshooting that, something
else gave out and the board wouldn't even POST any more.  When it died,
it took a 15G drive with it; fortunately, there wasn't anything on the
drive of any significance other than 7 or 8G of mp3s.[2]  It was the
first half-decent board I'd ever bought.  (Or at least that's what I
thought at the time.)  *sniff*

[2]  Just to stay topical:  I was running CUPS on it until it died.

[3]  I've re-ripped about a thirf of my CD collection so far and I'm
already running out of space on my other systems.  Guess I'll have
to buy another drive for music.