On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Brian wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Dave Sherman wrote:
>
> > Actually, NT bastardized IBM's OS/2. Maybe OS/2 bastardized Unix, but I
> > have my doubts.
>
> I'm a tad too much on the outside of the OS/2 circle but what I remember
> from v2 and v3 is that it was more like bastardizing DOS, but since I'm
> way too young to remember which was first I might be totally off on
> that.  Let the truth be known... OS/2 beat MS to the 32 bit OS by a LONG
> shot.  MS was just pissed when they found out they were actually
> developing for the competition :-)

First 32-bit OS was VMS, 1976.  Dave Cutler was the system
architect.  He left DEC in 1989 about the time Ken Olsen (president and
founder of DEC) retired.  Took a job as system architect for Windows NT at
Microsoft.

I won't go on more about it here -- http://www.rephil.org/ntvms

if you want to read a little of my history of the subject.

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous