I'd recomend using PHP, maybe with the FastTemplate class to really keep
the HTML seperate from the code.  If you set this up on your own system,
then use lynx or wget or something to generate the static pages you should
be able to make it happen with little trouble.

One of the books I have at home on php had a section devoted exactly to
this.  I'll let you know what the book is when I get home.

Dave Royer