On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 04:44:13PM -0500, Austad, Jay wrote:
> Mediaone runs constant portscans on 2 of my friends cable connections to
> make sure they are not running servers.  If they catch you, they warn you
> once, if they catch you again, they disconnect you for good.

That's what I thought they would.

> I've heard that roadrunner is the same way.  Although, you could probably
> set up a linux firewall, watch the logs to see where they are portscanning
> you from, and then deny all packets from the ip/network that they scan you
> from and start up your webserver once you have them blocked out.

This is what I don't get, ATT says my connection is RoadRunner, when I'm
online my reverse dns is something like nic-123-123-123.mn.mediaone.net,
what's the difference there?

--
  Thomas Eibner <http://thomas.eibner.dk/> DnsZone <http://dnszone.org/>
  mod_pointer <http://stderr.net/mod_pointer>