On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 11:10:17AM -0500, AAAunderground wrote:
> While we are on the subject of ssh I have a question. I just setup a
> firewall. I can ssh into the box without problem. When I try to ssh to a box
> in the subnet it will hang forever. ping -- no problem. reject telnet -- no
> problem. ssh connect -- no way. I can ssh to another box on the internet
> without fail. Is this a forwarding issue?

Given that ping and telnet both behave as expected, I'm inclined to
suspect either DNS (ssh likes to do reverse name lookups to be sure
of who it's talking to) or entropy (if you're connecting to a box
that doesn't get used much, it can take a while to gather enough
entropy to come up with a sufficiently-random session key).

> The second question is how does one transfer files via ssh? Will ftp run
> inside of an ssh session?

scp and/or sftp.