Steve Siegfried wrote:

> Simeon Johnston wrote:
> >
> > I'm switching one of my installations to a different HD.  What do I have
> > to do?
> > I'm planning on copying from one drive to another.
> > So.... (after formating /dev/sdbX of course).
> >
> > reboot into secondary installation.
> > cp /dev/sdaX /dev/sdbX
>
> NO!  This won't do what you think it will.
>
> Sugggest instead:
>         if /dev/sdaX and /dev/sdbX are the same size:
>         then dd if=/dev/sdaX of=/dev/sdbX

Not exactly the same size.

>         else mkfs /dev/sdbX
>              fsck /dev/sdbX
>              mount /dev/sdbX /mnt/tmp

Make file system and mount.  Gotcha.

>              cd $MOUNTPOINT_FOR_sdaX

K.

>              find . -mount -print | cpio -pdumva /mnt/tmp

What does this do?

>              umount /mnt/tmp
>              fsck /dev/sdbX
>         fi

I really don't understand what the find command above does.
I was thinking about the Ghetto Ghost thing.
If you mean cp won't work I can understand that.  How bout "cat"?
I just need the info from the partitions copied.  I can rerun lilo.
Actually, I'll have to rerun lilo.  Not an option.

> Oh yeah... make a boot floppy, too ;-)

Boot floppy?  Boot Floppy?!?!  We don't need no stinking Boot Floppies....
:-)
I'm not too worried.  Got 3 different OS's booting off the same drive.  I got
options.
The OS needed to be moved is self contained.  LILO on the first part of the
partition.  Single partition install.  Should be completely separate from the
others (Well, as separate as can be on the same drive).

sim