Simeon Johnston wrote:

> I'm switching one of my installations to a different HD.  What do I have
> to do?
> I'm planning on copying from one drive to another.
> So.... (after formating /dev/sdbX of course).
>
> reboot into secondary installation.
> cp /dev/sdaX /dev/sdbX

NO!  This won't do what you think it will.

Sugggest instead:
	if /dev/sdaX and /dev/sdbX are the same size:
	then dd if=/dev/sdaX of=/dev/sdbX
	else mkfs /dev/sdbX
	     fsck /dev/sdbX
	     mount /dev/sdbX /mnt/tmp
	     cd $MOUNTPOINT_FOR_sdaX
	     find . -mount -print | cpio -pdumva /mnt/tmp
             umount /mnt/tmp
	     fsck /dev/sdbX
        fi

Caveat:  Neither /dev/sdaX nor /dev/sdbX should be mounted if you're gonna
use dd(1) for the copy.

Oh yeah... make a boot floppy, too ;-)

> mount /dev/sdbX /mnt/test
> change the lilo.conf file on /dev/sdbX
> run "lilo -c /mnt/test/etc/lilo.conf
> insert the new OS into the lilo.conf of the currently booted
> installation.
> rerun lilo
> reboot
>
> Does this sound correct?  I suppose it won't hurt anything. :-)
> What about installing on ReiserFS?  It's already compiled into the 2.4.6
> kernel.  Will it boot without any problems?
>
> sim

Hope this helps'idly,

-S