On Tue, 3 Jul 2001 Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> > I'm planning to install RedHat on a laptop computer (one big root
> > partition) and would like to use some kind of journaled file system
> > instead of ext2.  Does anyone know of a good way to install RedHat onto a
> > ReiserFS root file system?  Would it be better (more convenient) to drop
> > back to RedHat 6.2 and use ext3?
>
> somewhere on SGIs site, is an ISO which will supposedly help you install XFS
> on a new RH7.1 installation.
>
> try this:
> http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/1.0_installer.html
>
> once upon a time there was a hacked RH7.1 image which would install XFS; but
> I think XFS has gone through some revisions since then.
>
> tell us what you find. :)

Thank-you very much for the info.  Your response prompted me to do some
further digging.

SGI has indeed released an installer ISO for RedHat 7.1 and XFS 1.0:
<http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/1.0_installer.html>

In addition, some guy named Brad Tarver has boot diskettes to install
RedHat 6.2 with ReiserFS (linked from www.reiserfs.com downloads page):
<ftp://ftp.lugoj.org/pub/reiserfs/>

There's also a set of combined ReiserFS and XFS debian disks available:
<http://markybobdeb.sourceforge.net/zoltan/>

So far, the only thing I could find to help with installing IBM's JFS was
the "JFS Root Boot HOWTO", which recommends installing onto ext2 and then
creating JFS partitions and copying everything:
<http://oss.software.ibm.com/developer/opensource/jfs/project/pub/jfsroot.html>

Ext3 might be another option:
<http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/ext3/>

Now I just need to figure out which one to use...

Joel