On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Florin Iucha wrote:

> > grabbed a custom .muttrc off the web right away I may never have seen it,
> > but I tend to prefer approaching new applications on their own terms. It
> > gives me more of an idea what the authors intended for the application.
>
> So you download linux-kernel and type: make bzImage, make modules... without
> configuring it?

That is not a user interface application, it has to be configured
to the hardware or the hardware configured to it. A user interface
application should be _usable_ unmodified. The problem I ran into could
bite anyone who has not already applied a patch (such as a custom
.muttrc) to prevent it, not just people who have used pine.

> When I started using mutt I was coming from 5 years of pine. Yet I read the
> manual, searched the web for config scripts, carefully adding one new config
> at a time.

This implies a considerable time investment in learning and configuring
mutt, I was hit by a blatant UI bug and decided not to make the
investment. I like most of the graphical mail agents better, even though
they are not as feature rich. (This includes the original poster's choice
of kmail. Nice agent, I just like pine a little bit better.)

> I don't know why I did it this way... sheer luck, too much time on my hands...
> I don't know. But I am a happy mutt user now.
>
> As of _hours_ of state on you inbox, that's another issue: you should move
> mail in different folders, manually or with filters. If you have a crowded
> mailbox is hard to read, scan. It's like having all your files in one
> directory.

Hours of state: most of a day's worth of incoming email, read and
deleted or replied to as it came in. Now remember which ones were replied
to already, which were deleted, and pick out the new ones. Not a huge
amount of work, but I don't quickly forgive applications that have added
to my workload. Yes I know I should have '$' synced sometime in there, but
we all slip occasionally.

Dan