Rick Engebretson wrote:

> I don't mind a learning curve, but unnecessary complexity should be
> avoided. After downloading Ximian Gnome there were missing dependencies
> and altered start scripts all over the directory map. This was supposed
> to be an automatic install.
>
> It took me most of a day to find and repair the problems so I could get a
> useful X back. /etc/rc.config, and /sbin/init.d are not obvious places to
> look. Sure, you're a genius, but normal people want Linux computers, too.

[stuff deleted]

I don't know what the ximian people smoked before they put together this
release.  I had to fix my gdm config and some startup scripts as well.

After more than a year of flawless updates (from Helix),  I've
gotten pretty careless about running the update utility.  I'll think twice
from now on.

Kent