Well, with all this talk of mutt and procmail and such, I just thought of
something that I'd like to do.

At work, we have a mail server running Irix and for some reason, I have
problems with procmail delivering mail to mbox-format files.  Every so
often (much too often), procmail will concatenate two or three or a dozen
emails together with just NULLs (^@) between them.  So, when viewing these
folders in mutt, one message may actually contain many messages, so I have
to edit the message and delete the NULLs before the other messages show up
in my mailbox.

As you can imagine, this is _extremely_ bothersome.  Now, someone mentioned
that mutt can read maildir format folders (which I wasn't aware of).  It's
my opinion that it's procmail locking (or not locking) the mbox folders
that adds the NULLs in there, for whatever reason.  If I could get procmail
to put incoming messages into maildir format, since every messages is a
seperate file, I shouldn't have the problem of multiple messages being
concatenated together.

We're using sendmail as our MTA.  Is it possible (via something in
.procmailrc, or even an external program) to have procmail put every
message I send to it in maildir format?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Gabe
Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
SGI Origin Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu