On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 11:44:07PM -0600, Nate Sanders wrote:
>I've taken some recomendations from friends on wireless products. But was
>wondering what if any work in linux, or work well in linux? I have a sony
>vaio laptop, running 2.4. Anyone have any thoughts to offer?
Orinoco makes the wavelan/RG1000 cards and yes, they work great in linux and
freebsd. Beware, the apple airport (yes, it's pretty cool.) uses a hash table
to turn your password into a 40bit hex key. If you set a password on the
airport, you need to convert the password to hex in order to use it in linux
when supplying a key for the network, and make sure it follows a 0x to tell
the airport, "Hey, I'm sending you my key in hex!" and all will be well.

>I've been told the Airport from Apple and Lucent cards work best.. (but in
>linux do they?)
We have an airport as well as an RG1000 Gateway, and so far, the airport has a
better range although they may be interfering with each other. (The airport
claims up to 150 ft. while the rg1000 claims up to 1400 feet, but it's seems
to be exactly the opposite, the airport getting almost all the traffic because
the rg1000 can't hack it.) If you go with an RG1000 I highly recommend getting
extra antenna's for your cards, because the rg1000 can't take an external
range extending antenna.
Have fun!