I do lots of web form/database interaction with HTML,MySQL and C. If you
can hack some
basic C code its very easy to do. Here's a quick descr of what it does.

You write an HTML form (javascript, whatever) that submits its data via a GET
or a POST.
Instead of a "cgi script" you write a C program that takes the input from the
form and parses it out. GET's and POST's are handled two different ways
when parsing.
In your C code you open a connection to a MySQL database, take the submitted
data, and write an SQL query using the mysqlclient.so lib's C functions.
Return an HTML page of the results to make the use feel good about what they
did and your done.
The code to parse HTML is very small (in fact I wrote my own snippet of code
I'd probably share with anyone who begs enough :) so you dont have to deal
with cgi libs to parse the data.
The MySQL code is about 5-10 lines long to open,do a query, and close.
very simple!!

And personally I wouldnt worry about ANSI-whatever compliance. NASA dumped
oracle for MySQL so it holds some weight.

Jason

PS. The C code can be replaced with perl or any other scripting language (god
forbid you use either) that has a lib into mysql. Of course your customers
will
be amazed at the speed of you site if you use C. :)

At 07:37 AM 1/27/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I have been using Apache and various Linux distributions (Mandrake and Red
Hat) for a few years now.  I am not a guru, but comfortable with both.

>I am now moving into a new arena: php and databases interacting with
Apache.  I have the howtos for php and some documentation for PostgreSQL.
That documentation is fine in itself, but does not outline the process for
what I want to do.

>I would like to set up a webpage where people fill out
surveys/questionnaires about customer satisfaction, needs, etc.  In effect,
users would be completing an html form and hitting a "submit" button.  The
information in the form would then be submitted to a database as a single
record.

>The problem is that I have been unable to find doucmentation/sites that
outline how a form should be set up -- and php/database configuration--  so
that it can be properly entered into the database.  Can anyone suggest
documetation/sites that would outline such a process?  It seems as though
php is a necesary part of the process -- am I incorrect?

>I am comfortable with editing html -- I do not use a WYSIWYG editor.
>
>P.S.
>Does anyone have recommendations of PostgreSQL vs Interbase.  I know about
MySQL, but it is not as ANSI-92 compliant as PostgreSQL or Interbase.