Get the certifications to get an entry-level job. I'm a DBA, and I meet a
lot of people in my profession who have philosophy and zoology degrees, or
no degrees at all. I know someone who got a masters in computer science, and
he said it didn't help him get an entry-level position above those with
certifications and bachelor's degrees in C.S. What you need is experience.
Once you have that, it doesn't matter what your past is like.

One of the best career moves I made was to be in tech support. The hours
were bad, and the clients crabby, but once you've solved every problem that
others can throw at you, the next job is easy to move into. I had job offers
over the phone from the clients who called.

I hear your next question. I don't think we have any positions, but if you
want to send me your resume, I'll see if there is anything. Hope the advise
helped.

Brice

>From: "Chris Opp" <cop7586 at hotmail.com>
>To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
>Subject: [TCLUG] Entry Level *nix
>Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:48:08 -0600

If someone was interested in getting an entry level position with *nix, how
does someone who doesnt have a.) experience, and b.) the appropriate
certifications or education to get the job? Let's take myself for example. I
have a B.A. and no certs as of yet. I plan on doing the CCNA within the next
6-12 months from now. I currently use Linux.  So, should I got back to
school and try to get a Masters degree in computer science, or go to a tech
school and get a 2 year degree in Unix? Any ideas?