Yes I am smoking crack, branded by MS.

I would never recoment any windows box as a public server. Keep the beast
behind the firewall (it's easier to hide it from your friends that way.)

There are some tasks that Windows 2000 will do better than Linux. Controling
and Securing a NT Domain for example. Right now, the only way to deal with
windows client auth is Windows 2000. (Yes, samba can do it to a point...)

If I could change the database over to UNIX I would, but as it is the
NT4+MSSQL7.0 is the platform supported by the software needed by the
database applications. Something of a necissary evil I suppose...

As those database applications are based around databases and (shudder)
filesharing, we have the Citrix server to throw the application over our WAN
link to our out of state facilities. (If the damn applications didn't need
the filesharing component we could run this without the Citrix part...)

Overall I've had better experiences with Windows 2000 than Windows NT. I
don't reboot them all the time either, I use an at job to reboot them
automatically every night. (Kinda sad isn't it?)

For the vendor support issue, the only way to run our databases under UNIX
would be Oracle, and while it's supported, there are still a few technical
issues in the way. So we're stuck with MSSQL (for now.)

But fear not, not all the boxen are Windows. Firewall, proxy, file + print,
web, e-mail are all done on Linux. By far these servers have performed much
better than the NT servers. Get over the NT vs. UNIX thing. For now, they
both have their place, both have strengths and weaknesses. I didn't say
Windows 2000 was right for all situations, and for many it's just plain
wrong.

I think I should stop now before this becomes an all out flame war... (too
late?)

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX) 132