jeffr at odeon.net wrote:

> Heya folks, I've got a NEC Versa SX notebook (P-II, 366 MHz, 64 megs ram,
> 4 gig hard drive, Trident 9388 video with 2 megs ram).  I was trying to
> put Mandrake 7.2 on it (which includes XFree86 4.0.1).  The install runs
> fine, it properly detects the video chipset, and when X starts I get a
> nifty penguin background, but none of the windows work (they are all
> transparent, just showing the outline of the windows but none of the text
> or color/shading that should normally be in the window).  This happens at
> all resolutions and depths that I've tried (from 8bpp at 640x480 through
> 16bpp at 1024x768).  Going back down to XFree86 3.3.6 works fine.  I also
> tried XFree86 4.0.2, but encountered the same problem as with XFree86
> 4.0.1.
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Pity it's not a desktop box. Then you could throw away the Trident, which
is a constant source of configuration problems.

However, there are lots of entries for NEC Versas on the Linux Laptop
Volunteers database. Search here:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/volunteer.html. Someone
there should be able to pass you a working XF86Config file or otherwise fix
you up.

Good luck,

Lan Barnes                 lanbarnes at earthlink.net
Icon Consulting, Inc       858-273-6677
Key fingerprint = 57D6 C219 140A A81E 26C6  8138 0E62 7F4A 2659 7389

Tear down the terriers and bariffs
                - George W. Bush