Heya folks, I've got a NEC Versa SX notebook (P-II, 366 MHz, 64 megs ram,
4 gig hard drive, Trident 9388 video with 2 megs ram).  I was trying to
put Mandrake 7.2 on it (which includes XFree86 4.0.1).  The install runs
fine, it properly detects the video chipset, and when X starts I get a
nifty penguin background, but none of the windows work (they are all
transparent, just showing the outline of the windows but none of the text
or color/shading that should normally be in the window).  This happens at
all resolutions and depths that I've tried (from 8bpp at 640x480 through
16bpp at 1024x768).  Going back down to XFree86 3.3.6 works fine.  I also
tried XFree86 4.0.2, but encountered the same problem as with XFree86
4.0.1.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Jeff