On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 10:45:45AM -0600, Andy Zbikowski wrote:
>Somehow, I got lucky. I was in the right place, at the right time, at the
>right price. (or something like that...)
>
>Secondly, I can deal with Windows. At this point I have completely sworn off
>using anything but Windows 2000 on servers (with the exception of the
>database server that is still running NT4, and hasn't had an issue since it
>went on line. If it ain't broke...) If budjeting and client hardware allowed
>it, I'd probally move the workstations from NT4 to windows 2000. (Just don't
>bother with Windows 9x or Me). If I can find a thin client to fill our needs
>we will probally move in that direction (if I can smash some long
>outstanding bugs with our main windows application anyway...) But Windows is
>everywhere. Get over it, learn it. I can actually sleep at night when I
>recomment Windows 2000. Win2K isn't perfect, but it's a big step in the
>right direction.
Ok, as a sys admin who's worked in more than a few mixed enviroments, dealt
with specifically NT/2000 based networks, as well as solely linux based
networks, I would just like to say, YOUR SMOKING CRACK! What are you thinking
putting w2k on every server?? Do you want them to be destroyed? do you like
using more processing power than an equivalent *nix box? Do you like rebooting
all the time? do you like having "bug fixes and patches" create more bugs and
require more patches after adding more problems than it fixes? Why would you
ever recommend w2k to anyone for anything but streaming some sort of media! If
you don't want to use linux for a server, go look at one of the BSD variants,
or a commercial *nix, but windows and ESPECIALLY w2k should be your last
choice. Ok.. just had to get that out of my system. This is not to say
familiarity with windows enviroments in a business atmosphere is a bad thing,
it's not, it's a good thing, it will make you realize the level of quality
that goes into a product designed by a marketing department and then given to
coders to write quick and release. If anything, deal with what's there, yes,
if it ain't broke don't fix it, but then again, if there's something
better, faster, cheaper, and you have time to implement it, then why would you
not.. Do you keep the slower, less economic, more problematic, uglier, more
expensive car? or do you buy the cheap, fast, efficient, and reliable car to
replace it, that can easily be transitioned to the latest greatest at no cost
to you, with minimal hardware changes. (Kind of a long analogy, but that's how
it works out in my mind.) Windows has it's place, and it's place is quickly
shrinking.

>The third thing I have going is on the side consulting type jobs. I started
>by fixing the (very) small windows network at my dad's company when ever it
>broke down (thankfully that wasn't often.) The other notable job was setting
>up a Linux firewall/nat/web/mail/file server box for the St. Lawrence Newman
>Center. It was all voulenteer, but probally worth mentioning. (Not one
>service call yet...slick!) In the next few weeks I'll be building a windows
>2000 network from the ground up for an office of 10 or so.
>
>If somebody in your family or maybe a friend of the family needs computer
>stuff done you might find some experience there. Small businesses like that
>generally need some basic stuff setup, and are always concerned by cost.

Very good point, this is similar to the way I started, working for people I
knew on small projects and completely immersing myself in that subject. This
moved me into a couple different positions, such as tech support, admin, admin
monkey, etc. All of which built an experience base for me that definitely put
me in contention for the position for which I later landed and am currently
working.
>The last place I found myself was ISP technical support. Most ISPs use some
>form of UNIX, and need somebody between the customers and the admins (or
>developers) to setup accounts and take abuse from the users.  There are
>probally other helpdesk positions you can find yourself in, I could tell you
>about a few local places that need someone with a clue, but you probally
>don't want the names as their offices are within shooting distance of my
>apartment. Muhahahahaha! (Aim the rocket at the 9th floor, center for sales,
>off to the right a bit for technical support...)
>
>If I have any other thoughts I'll let you know.
>
>--
>Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com
>LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX) 132
>21801 Industrial Blvd       | (FX)  763-428-9126
>Rogers, MN  55374           | (PCS) 612-306-6055
Just my 2 cents.
Thanks,

--
Thomas J. Hudak