I had similar problems when trying to compile the real-time 2.2.14 kernel on Red Hat 7.0.  The gcc version was not compatable.  However, the egcs version
included with RedHat 7.0 was compatitle (2.91.66 release 1.1.2).  After changing CC and HOSTCC in the top level Makefile from gcc to egcs and starting
from a make clean, the kernel compiled.  Maybe this will work for 2.4.0.

Doug Reitz