Will the box be doing NAT for clients on the inside?  You'll pretty much
have to or you'd need to change you IP's on each machine when one connection
failed.

Use the IP-masq howto and build your rc.firewall file.  Build a rc.firewall2
file with information to your other internet connection in it.

Write a perl script, or even a shell script that pings your first hop after
your DSL router or cable modem.  If the pings fail for 10 seconds, make the
script run "ipchains -F" and then run rc.firewall2.

You'll probably want to add code to switch it back over if your other
connection comes back if that is your preferred connection.  Shouldn't be
too hard.

Jay