"Austad, Jay" wrote:

> I think just about everything lately doesn't do D/A conversion.  I don't
> think anything under linux ever has.  I've been using cdparanoia and I'm
> pretty sure it's direct CDDA to WAV.
>
> I remember a couple of years ago, there was a tool for windows which
> required a soundcard to convert CD tracks to WAV's, which is obviously D/A
> conversion.

However, I notice that some CDs don't rip well, at least with my
hardware.  They play fine, but the ripping has problems.  I suspect that
someone will start using the digital interface on CD drives to record
before too long (the little two-prong connector on the back of your
drive that usually sits right next to the four-prong stereo analog
connector).  My SB Live! has a connector for it, though I'm not sure if
you can record directly from that connector or if it does some sort of
digital->analog->digital conversion somewhere..

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Veni Vidi Visa: I came, I