I think just about everything lately doesn't do D/A conversion.  I don't
think anything under linux ever has.  I've been using cdparanoia and I'm
pretty sure it's direct CDDA to WAV.

I remember a couple of years ago, there was a tool for windows which
required a soundcard to convert CD tracks to WAV's, which is obviously D/A
conversion.