I like the idea of general user stuff.  I am still fairly new at this and
there is a lot I don't know.  Also, preparing for installing an os including
backup ideas and software.  I have RH7 on my system and in order to get it
to do what I wanted I just installed everything (not real efficient) so I
would like to reinstall it putting in only what I need.

I am also interested in learning how to secure my computer.  I currently am
connected 24 7 but don't have any security on it, that I know of.  As a
result I think someone came in and deleted my mysql.sock, I can't find it
anymore.  I read most of the posts here and I have very little idea what you
folks are talking about.

I would like to suggest a session on configuring X11.  Mine is working but
it took me about 3 days to get it right.

The correct way of adding and removing software.  Using RPMs DEBs or getting
the source and compiling on your own.

Those are my ideas.

New Topic:

My computer is suffering from an identity crisis.  It doesn't know who it
is.  One day I booted my machine and it said that it was n24-c168-170-35.  I
rebooted it a couple of weeks later and is said it was RedHat, a couple of
weeks after that I rebooted and it said that it was nic-c168-163-40.  The
first and last times are permutations of my ip address assigned by Mediaone.
The one in the middle I have no idea where it came from.  The trouble is I
have two other computers that have network drives like to it, so every time
the name changes, I have to fix the drive paths.  My hosts file in /etc
lists the computer as RedHat.  The RedHat box has two nics in it, one for
internet and other for lan.

Any ideas?

John Miller
Dain Rauscher Inc.